Harlow Resolution Images

As part of our unit 12 project we have been learning new and different skills in order to make our images the best as possible. Currently we are learning about resolution.

We have already learn the basics on resolution and what it is and also how it is relevant in photography. We also completed an exercise using a cutout from a newspaper where we experimented with different F stops and focal lengths on our cameras in order to find the best and the worst resolution for each focal lengths on our camera. After taking these images we cropped them twice both in the middle and in the top corner so we could focus on the lines on the puzzle and also the numbers to see what had the best resolution. This task was classed as a studio based indoors task. Now we have these resolutions and we know what is best for each focal length we now have to experiment with these F stops but take our images outside. The reason we are doing this task and experiment is because most of our images that we are going to take for our final project will be taken outside or out of the studio so we need to know what resolutions to use when we are outside taking our pictures in order for them to be the best that we can make them.

For this task we used three different focal lengths and two different F stops for each focal length. The F stops that we used were the best and the worst that we found from our previous task. I have listed below the focal lengths and the F stops that I used for this task;

  • 18mm-F8
  • 18mm-F3.5
  • 35mm-F4.5
  • 35mm-F22
  • 55mm-F22
  • 55mm-F8

I chose to take my images in a small garden on the college campus. The reason that I chose to take my images here is because a lot of images that I want to take for my project involves gardens and also I will be taking some of my images in the town park so I thought it would be good to use this space to get the closest resolution results as I possibly can. Even though I only had 6 F stops and focal lengths to work with I decided to take a few images for each one that I was focusing on so that I could have some options on what I could pick for my final image rather than having only one and not being happy with, meaning I would have to go out and take the image again. It is also important the every time we change the focal length on the camera that we move the camera with it so that we get the same looking image each time but we know that they have different focal lengths.

Much like our first task using resolution that we did we also had to edit these images the same way. We firstly had to make a contact sheet of all the images that we took on our shoot. Then we had to make a separate contact sheet of the images that we edited. To edit these images we had to crop them right into top corner and then also crop them in the middle, this is the same way that we edited our images for the first task. I have firstly included the contact sheet of all of the images that I took on my shoot for this task.

contactsheet-001

As you can see from my contact sheet I have taken a total of 20 images.Which is around three to four images for each aspect I was focusing on. This has enabled  me to have choices of what image to use for my final edited images. From the contact sheet I can see that most of my images are very similar but some of them could be a bit closer. However I think the results I have now are good enough to be edited and evaluated as final images for this task.

I then went on to edit these images and I have put them each into their own contact sheets so it is clear which results are which and what each of their focal lengths and F stops are. I have included these contact sheets below and I have also evaluated these contact sheets and compared them to my resolution results from the previous tasks.

18mm18mm-contact-sheet

35mm

35mm-contact-sheet

55mm

55mm-contact-sheet

These are all of my contact sheets from my resolution task. From looking at all of my contact sheets I have seen that there are definitely some similarities and differences between them all and there are also some similarities and differences between these ones and the ones from my previous task. I think that doing this task has shown me the difference between how resolution looks inside and outside and whether they are really the same. I found this task really helpful and it will be something that I would use for my final piece as my images are being blown up to A2 for the exhibition. As this is happening I want to make sure that I have got the best resolution as possible in my final images so they still look clear once they have been blown up. I think that this task is useful for all my projects as I can use it as a reference point.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s